Know what you are getting every time – paint with the one single pigment.
Hi, I’m Richard.
The pigment information here has been obtained from the public website of the respective paint manufacturers and you should confirm the pigment/s used in each paint at the time of purchase.
The lists here include paints which meet the following criteria:
- Artist quality / intended for professional use paint brands;
- The respective range must have at least 10 single pigment colors (excluding whites and blacks).
- Generally rated (by the manufacturer) as the top 2 (where there are 3 or 4) or top 3 (where there are 5) levels for lightfastness in its’ respective range. These ratings may not be comparable across ranges and in tiny handful of cases where the pigment and manufacturer information noticeably differ, I’ve had to make a judgement call as to whether a paint is or isn’t included. Do undertake your own tests for lightfastness as required.
- Only the main range of natural and synthetic pigmented paints in each brand, eg. selections of mica and/or mineral paints will usually not appear.
What is not listed here?
- Paints aimed more towards the student market.
- Paints with no publicly accessible pigment information.
- Private label / store branded paints.
- Paints with lower levels of lightfastness (as noted by the manufacturer). So, if you are looking for PR83, PY40 and a small number of others, they’re not here. In a tiny handful of cases, I’ve had to make a judgement call as to whether a paint is or isn’t included, ie. the pigment and manufacturer information noticeably differ.
- With the exception of an off white and a couple of blues, no paints with a “:1” as part of the pigment, eg. cadmium barium.
This is a small independent venture (just me) and I am not associated with any manufacturer or supplier. You can reach me with your electronical mail at info AT youthgas DOT com (it’s an old domain I have).
Special thanks goes to Stephen and Susan at Bondi Road Art Supplies – a great “mom and pop” art supplies store in Sydney, Australia.